It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Text Size
Login

Edmund Lewis

Discussion related to genealogy of Lewis families.

Moderator: Jill

Postby Jill » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:41 pm

Looking to prove Edmund Lewis's father is George Lewis of Wales. Also wishing to prove Edmund's wife is Mary Cary or Carey of Carew.
Jill

Postby Hayduke » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:11 am

There is no evidence that Edmund Lewis of Llys Talybont, Glamorgan, Wales was the same as Edmond Lewes on the Elizabeth. Nor is there any evidence that Mary Carey/Carew was his wife's surname.

"Proof" will probably never be forthcoming as to our Edmond's birth and parentage, as that would require documentation of the connection between Edmond Lewes on the Elizabeth in 1634, and other documents recording Edmond Lewes's birth and parentage. Finding a birth record for Edmund/Edmond Lewes/Lewis will not connect that record to his emigration from England.
Hayduke

Postby Jill » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 am

I am aware of your point of view, many disagree with your point of view. I do not want this forum to turn into a place of argument so this forum will be monitored. Remember-there is also no evidence to say they are not connected to him and no evidence to say he is not the same person.

I don't believe we will never find proof, proof will come one day either positive, negative or half right.
Jill

Postby Jill » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:09 pm

I can disagree and so can others and you will have to accept this if you wish to participate in these forums.

Your "In order to disagree with my point of view, one would have to present evidence of Edmond Lewes's origin and his wife's maiden name" is the very type of thing I will not allow in these forums. I will not have arguments or someone putting down others opinions or people asking for proof and be told there isn't any because I say so. Just because you say it is one way does not make it so and is viewed by me the owner of this website as combative. There is plenty of circumstantial evidence out there if one cares to do the research which supports both yes and no.

You have made your point of view and to repeat it and upping this to a combative tone stating--to disagree with you one has to do blah blah. This type of message is viewed as not trying to be helpful in peoples search.

Do remember the original post stated "Looking to prove Edmund Lewis's father is George Lewis of Wales. Also wishing to prove Edmund's wife is Mary Cary or Carey of Carew."

If you can help prove the original post great, if you can't that is fine also. Just because you haven't located evidence doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just because you don't like the circumstantial evidence doesn't make it true or false. People will have to form their own opinions and do further research to get a conclusion they are comfortable with.
Jill

Postby Hayduke » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 am

The fact that there is, at present, no evidence as to the origins of Edmond Lewes of Lynn does not preclude the possibility that evidence might be discovered in the future.

At this moment, there is no evidence of Edmond Lewes's parentage nor his wife's maiden name. This is a statement of fact, not an argument.

"Circumstantial evidence" is not evidence, it is irresponsible and unprofessional guesswork. This sort of dishonesty is the very reason the origins of Edmond Lewes are irretrievably cloaked in misinformation. It is only documented evidence that can raise this veil over the historical reality of his origin.
Hayduke

Postby Hayduke » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:58 am

I have been researching the origins of Edmond Lewes of Lynn, Massachuestts for over ten years. It is my opinion that past speculations as to his origins are not based on documented evidence and are therefore unsupportable.

Edmond Lewes of Lynn sailed on the Elizabeth from Ipswich, Suffolk, England. There are numerous Lewis/Lewes families in teh area around Ipswich, including many Edmond/Edmund Lewis/Leweses, as well as a John and Thomas Lewis/Lewes, born in the appropriate time period, who could well be the same who traveled to Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1634. There is no reason to speculate that Edmond Lewes camefrom any other location than Suffolk, England.
Hayduke

Postby Jill » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:04 am

"Circumstantial evidence" is something people use to form opinions and other research ideas. Sometimes their conclusions are not what others like or believe. In all circumstantial cases it takes further documentation. People who research and document all information and documents found are doing professional work in presenting all angles of the issue. It will take others, possibly future generations to find documents that can prove it one way or the other. I urge everyone to do their own research, draw their own conclusions and maybe one day further documentation will be found.

Using circumstantial evidence has nothing to do with honesty or dishonesty or guess work. It is used by many professionals in the genealogical field and is a way to document all aspects of the research. As most professionals know this information gets people searching and a good percentage of the time it provides clues of where to locate other documentation.

I think it would be great if several direct Lewis males did the 67 or 111 yDNA testing. It might help in locating any sibling lines that Edmund might have had, and possibly one of those lines might have the documentation to prove his parents and lead to other discoveries.
Jill

Postby Hayduke » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:58 am

Great idea, Jill!

I have my DNA profile with the Lewis Surname DNA Project, listed under Edmond Lewes. I've located 9 other Edmond Lewes descendants by our shared DNA. Unfortunately, they do not know their genealogy beyong the late 1700s! We're working on tracking their ancestors back to the Lewes line, through the New Jersey descendants.
Hayduke

Postby Hayduke » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:02 am

Here's some more "circumstantial" evidence: ;)

In the Lewis Surname DNA project, my DNA is clearly distinct from the DNA of Welsh Lewis lines. I have a unique DNA lineage, shared by only nine other participants in the project. The Welsh Lewis lines are extensive and well documented and they are not mine!
Hayduke

Postby Jill » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Do you mean this Lewis DNA project? https://www.familytreedna.com/ftGroups_score_frame_classic.aspx?pass=qF7xymjPSRrDs6O1jKVmVOfM6Ma2nXS01tkG0Iak5PURMftastABJRltynkXrpki13Eq6IXMBs6Odx7hi8nczK8MLXfGMapt6GnLm0dwILLnGzqTlAP%2bjEq5ZFgJKqkefwdP2bTjZRA%3d

Subgroup 43
150484 United Kingdom R1b1a2
107081 Unknown Origin R1b1a2
143104 Edmond LEWES, 1601-1650 [England?] England R1b1a2

More info on: http://lewissurnamednaproject.com/early_lewises.htm

FYI-A Lewis cousin has found a connection to Meriwether Lewis of Lewis and Clark and to George Washington's sister Betty who married Fielding Lewis Sr.
Jill

Next

Return to Lewis